Sunday, July 20, 2008

Riot in Old Dhaka



Chaos in Old Dhaka, people running everywhere, rikshaws going away to clear the roads, policemen start to appear and next thing you hear "excuse me, students are going to crash, it's possible for you to leave this place" says a bengali student to Kellen and I ... leave? now? hell no...but we couldn't get anyone to explain to us why the students were protesting...we saw one student getting beat up by 5 or 6 policemen who then asked shop owners to temporarily close their stores! Anyway... our presence seemed to clearly bother them as we were hearing the word "foreigner" over and over again as the policemen spoke to each other and gave us the [your-camera-better-stay-in-your-bag] look and all I could think of was my camera is my best friend and I won't turn my back on it, not now, no...

No comments: